Wednesday, May 26, 2010

"Whatever souls are made of, his and mine are the same." - Emily Bronte

Up until June of last year I had the majority of my photographic experience in animal and pet portraits, children, families, events, dancers, etc.  In the beginning, I was a bit hesitant to get into the wedding business.  I had shot portraits and events before, but weddings seemed to pose lots of high pressure situations that I wasn't sure I was ready for.  But, man oh man, was I wrong! I got the chance to assist my friend, Caroline Alden (www.carolinealdenphoto.com) at my first wedding in the summer of 2009, and ever since then I've been hooked!  Wedding photography is like combining the best parts of portrait photography and event photography with the chance to be a part of the happiest, most exciting day of two peoples lives.

The wedding that Caroline and I shot together was absolutely beautiful!  Aparna and Thomas had been dating long distance between Denmark and Boston for five years, and this big day was the celebration of their wedding, but also marked the day before Aparna would join Thomas to live in Denmark.  The ceremony was intimate and held in Aparna's own backyard.  It followed traditional Indian customs, with some traditional Danish traditions mixed in.  The entire wedding party was dressed in Saris, there was exquisite henna tattoo work, and vibrant colors everywhere.  It was truly a beautiful experience seeing two different cultures come together and everyone being able to celebrate love together so harmoniously.  Here are some of my favorites from this wonderful day...


 

It all began at the bright and early 9am hair and make-up party !

 


 

Getting ready photos play a really special role in the wedding photographs. At first this seems silly, who wants to see me before I have all my make-up on and frantically getting ready?  But once you see all the photos together, you realize how organic a wedding album can be when you have the getting ready shots in the beginning and the party at the end framing the wonderful ceremony in the middle.  Also, we get to catch wonderful little moments of anticipation, joy and how the whole family is involved in the process.

 

 
 
Is that not the most beautiful henna work you've ever seen? This is just the beginning of the wonderful colors, textures and designs of the day!

One of many advantages of having two photographers at a wedding, is that you can have coverage of two different activities/locations that are happening at the same time.  As the bride and her mother were getting ready at the house, the groom-to-be, his family, and most of the wedding party was waiting patiently ontop of a hill about 4 blocks down the street. Since we had two photographers, Caroline was able to stay with the bride while I went up the hill to document (and thoroughly enjoy) this exciting tradition.  The large wedding party was accompanied by a drummer who played the entire four-block walk back to the house.  Although it took us a mere 8 minutes to walk to the top of the hill, it was about a 30-45 minute trek down the hill of continuous dancing that was led by the groom fully clothed in the traditional Indian sari carrying a beautiful white umbrella.  It was such an amazingly happy, celebratory "dance parade" of sorts, I couldn't help but have a huge smile on my face as I was photographing (I may have taken moments to dance a bit as well).




As we reached the house, the groom was greeted by the bride's family and more wonderfully traditional Indian customs followed. 



 


I absolutely love the photo of Thomas and Aparna's parents walking together.  Such a genuine, wonderfully happy and peaceful moment of a family coming together.






 

 

 

 

 


 And now time for some dancing!

 

 



 

1 comment:

Julia said...

she's so beautiful! i love the picture of them kissing around the tree. and the last picture of the sarcastic kid imitating you :)