Sunday, April 20, 2008

Mirror Through Lens


Coming from a psychology background, portraiture has always fascinated me... The funny thing is that it's so far beyond the intricate lighting set-ups and soft boxes (those clearly are important and fun to experiment with), rather, it is the unique way each individual reacts to being in front of a camera.

I have found that portrait shoots are not about directing, but creating the right atmosphere that allows the specific individual involved to feel as comfortable as possible. It is only then that the "model" will show something truly special and personal. And what makes portraits continually a challenge and a learning experience is the vast difference in what each unique individual needs for this "opening up" to happen...






Portraits were in the beginning, and still are, some of the most difficult shoots for me to do... I began shooting portraits by getting friends to pose for me with hardly adequate light kits to having a number of freelance portrait jobs for families and couples, and even a shoot with hired actors... And I used to think that sports action shots and wildlife photography were difficult - but trying to capture something as personal as I hope to seek in my portraits, is a continual challenge...




No comments: